Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bookies 2008

Best All-Encompassing Novel:

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. tolstoy is a genius when it comes to writing. so much of his book flew right past me because my understanding was so limited. i wish so much i'd taken a russian literature course in college. but i'd listened to stereotype and thought russian literature was boring and long. i'd love to listen to intelligent people discuss this book.

Best NonFiction:

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. i am fascinated by the middle east and this was such a unique and peaceful perspective. i really appreciated it.

Expanded My World:

The Serpent and the Rainbow; a Harvard Scientist’s Astonishing Journey into the Secret Societies of Haitian Voodoo, Zombies and Magic. So Interesting (with a capital I).

Most Well-Written:

Love Poems to God by Rainer Maria Rilke. his words make me fall in love.

Most Romantic Read:

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen. it was indeed, romantic. and it involved animals (including an elephant) and circus freaks. how do you go wrong with that?

Best Read-It-Quick Pick:

Bel Canto by Anne Patchett. read it in a day. loved every bit of it. was sad when it was over.

The Year’s Least Favorite:

East of Eden by John Steinbeck. not my favorite, but well written.

Most Inspiring:

a poem by a guy named john peter cabaniss from my review days (spring semester). three lines and he made me want to cry. genius.

the black's song is long, slow, and deep

"what have you done with my people?"

"what have we done with ourselves?"


Best Re-Read:

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. This time around, that book was funnier than I remembered it being.



2 comments:

redstarmama said...

Thank you! I have been starved for new books to make my own. I will have to revisit Anna and Vronsky as well.

Annie Jarman said...

I think you're going to be my go to for books to read. I'm hopelessly clueless.