Thursday, April 2, 2009

potty training a fickle child

ava just urinated the nile rive on my kitchen floor. this makes me think that when i saw her just five minutes earlier doing a subtle little potty dance and i asked her, "ava, do you have to go potty?" and she answered (with emphasis), "NO, MOM. I DON'T." she was lying. and as i mopped up this nile river and cursed myself for bathing her not fifteen minutes before that, i thought about how children are never consistent and therefore unreliable and should never be left alone ever and should always be kept near a toilet.

the thought has left me exhausted.

but then i thought about how children are never consistent and therefore unreliable and i realized that tomorrow ava will go potty instead of recreating natural wonders across my kitchen floor. and perhaps my house will even be clean and our health will be good and i won't be so exhausted.

i look forward to it.

2 comments:

redstarmama said...

Are you sure we aren't the same person? Because Greer tells me the same lie, to the extent that I just don't even put panties on her. I'm over it. She'll do it when she wants to. I really should be more motivated, but I'm too tired.

Laura said...

Potty training is so difficult and all of a sudden one day the children realize what the urge there feeling. Proving once again that motherhood is the most difficult job in the entire world! Good luck.