Tuesday, April 8, 2008

pregnancy notes

i have put away my pre-pregnancy jeans now. it feels good to slide those old pregnancy jeans on and feel a waistband slip around my middle for once. the only problem is, every time i bend over, i can feel the jeans sliding off of me. this is really a problem because i have ava and ava requires a great deal of bending over.

you know what's funny? with my pregnancy with ava, i spent a great deal of time treasuring everything. every pain, every twinge, every tiny baby thump--these were all amazing gifts and i would just sit there on the couch and revel in the fact that my hip hurts. and i just assumed that all of that intense mental note taking would mean that the next time i was pregnant i would be like, my hip hurts but that's okay, my hip hurt last time! unfortunately i took too many mental notes and they all crowded each other in and then when there were too many they took a vote and threw a lot of the pregnancy ones away. well, now when my hip hurts i think, is this normal? and you know what? i have no idea. it's like being pregnant for the first time except i feel lousy because when i consult my little pregnancy manual for first-timers it says, "you may be able to see the slightest pregnancy bump now" and i think, CURSE YOU MUSCLE MEMORY! my "slightest pregnancy bump" is a whopping, empty belly, fit for a sixth month instead of a fourth. so this time around, i'm making those pregnancy mental notes real notes. i don't want to get to a third pregnancy and still not have any idea if what's happening to me is normal.

4 comments:

redstarmama said...

I HATE the maternity jean slippage problem. Hate it. Pregnancy memories are funny. With Declan I was so miserably sick for so long, I just wanted it all to be over. I didn't bother trying to remember anything. I had a much more pleasant and memorable second pregnancy. Maybe with the next one I'll get around to actually recording my thoughts. I think I showed waaay bigger way earlier with Greer, too. And she was breech, so I had super pointy bullet belly. Not fun. At least you don't have that. ;)

Katie said...

yeah- i think i have gone through the same thing. although i don't feel like i have really noticed a lot because i'm so tired. but i do feel like it is my first time around. and i also curse the muscle memory...

Kari said...

with every pregnancy I've had I feel like I'm always scouring the pregnancy books to see how I think I should be feeling as to what I actually am, and everytime I think, I've done this before, I should know this. But its been so different everytime. I'm afraid when we have another one I'll start showing at 2 weeks lol, expecially since I still look 5 months pregnant and KC is almost 2!

Liz said...

Ha ha ha! My brain didn't have to remember anything because my body remembered all too well. I was showing at three or four months. It was ridiculous.