Friday, September 5, 2008

grocery car-cart


my local grocery stores have all invested in grocery carts with cars stuck on to the front of them. you'd think this was a good idea, i know i did, but then i used it. it is impossible to steer. it's long. you can't tell when you're too close to things so you just plow them over (i received many mean looks that i didn't understand until i finally figured out i was hitting people). also, ava likes it and wants to get in it and then get out and then get in and then get out which made my grocery shopping experience hideously long. and of course, the most exciting part, trying to get your 2-year-old to leave the stupid grocery car-cart behind and get in to her car seat. i love driving around with someone screaming at the top of her lungs and kicking my seat. it's my favorite thing to do. and then, every time we see it, she cries and wants to use that car-cart instead of the regular cart. so every grocery trip begins with a whine and a short cry.
so last night i needed one thing. and i thought, 'i'll take ava with me.' so we got her dressed for bed, slipped some shoes on her feet and hurried to the store. only to come to a dead stop right in front of that stupid car-cart. someone had left it right next to the front door. so i told her we could play in it for a moment then run in and shop and come out and say good bye to it. this sort of worked. i mean, in the beginning when she was told there was more to come, but at the end when i was prompting her to "say goodbye to the car" she was just melting all over the place, sobbing, throwing herself on to the car. . .
ugh. so i had to pick her up and wrestle her into her car seat.

my question is this, do any of you have any good experiences with the grocery car-carts? am i alone in this loathing for those ridiculously hard to push, extra-long pieces of plastic trouble?

ps i googled "grocery car-carts" to find a picture and my results showed me all sorts of celebrities putting their groceries into their cars. isn't that strange? why are we taking pictures of celebrities while they grocery shop?

8 comments:

Amber Marie said...

and that is why i have completely avoided all contact with those things. I have made the mistake of letting camilla "ride" the cart instead of sitting in it and so we go through the same thing of getting on and off and back on and then sitting there and waiting for her to climb back onto the cart....5 hours later we are finally making our way to the door.

i love your stories. keep them coming :)

Amber Marie said...

oh and using the excuse "i had a baby" is legit until the day you die in my book. so please don't stop using it because that is going to be my excuse for everything for the next 70 years!

Eliza said...

Do you have Bloom grocery stores near you? They have car-carts where the car is _under_ the cart basket part, with some additional basket-shelves behind the cart. It sounds weird but it's great. And the basket isn't even very deep but it holds a ton. It's as easy to push as a regular cart, and it holds just about as much.

That said, I still have to zip through the grocery store in less than 15 minutes, otherwise, I'll have a toddler who is totally done with being in that stupid little car.

Liz said...

Ha ha! We love those carts! Soren has dubbed them the "red Toyota trucks." We use one anytime we can and he understands that we have to use a regular cart if the two car-carts are in use by someone else. I have yet to hit anyone, but that's probably because the grocery store we shop in isn't very busy at the times we shop. Both the boys like to be buckled in (Soren even cries to be buckled in if I forget), so I don't have the in-and-out problem. Check out our pictures:

http://thebagelfactory.blogspot.com/2007/09/just-for-fun.html

redstarmama said...

I HATE CAR CARTS!!!!And the ones at Target with the two red plastic stools/seats in front of the basket? Yeah, those suck, too. And I have the mean mom talk with Declan every time. EVERY TIME! Some days, I wish I could wallop the inventor of those horrible contraptions in the head.

No, I don't have strong feelings about car carts at all.

Annie Jarman said...

My kid refers to them as "kid cars". He loves them, of course, and for a short time we would use them if I was trucking both kids to the store by my onesie because I wasn't going to leave the boy uncontained and there was no way I was going to fit him, the baby and all the groceries in a regular cart. We stopped using them after Aidan went through a phase where he put was always putting his fingers in his mouth and putting his mouth on everything, including grocery carts. He subsequently got very sick, which got us all sick. So, unless I'm feeling very generous, we don't use them.

The key to steering them is to steer with the back wheels. They are a pain in the butt to navigate.

Freckles said...

The carts out here are great because the steering wheels where the kids sit are in the back and up high so the kids can't get in and out every time you stop to get something!! I really hate those kind, my kids were monsters in them. And they are hard to steer, i still run into people and get dirty looks! oops.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I took my niece and nephew grocery shopping and they didn't want to get out either. Everyone looked at me strange too. I kept bumping into things cause I couldn't steer. Then they didn't want to get out. They put their arms up and screamed all over the store like they were in a roller coaster going down hill!