Thursday, May 15, 2008

take two and call me in the morning

i went to the doctor today. i took ava and told her, "we're going to the doctor and she's not going to hurt me." after this ava excitedly chattered about the doctor and pointed to everything in her office and called it the doctor. and then, she'd stand and walk towards the door as if to say, "well, we've seen the doctor. let's go now!" then the real doctor came in and ava's eyes got really large and she said, "got to go! got to go!" sadly, this didn't work. however, my doctor is a genius and was carrying a package of sweet-tarts in her coat pocket. ava was happy after that. i think i could have had brain surgery and ava would have been totally fine as long as her little package of sweet-tarts was lasting.

i asked my doctor about my labor, which is my biggest fear (this month) concerning my pregnancy (i have other fears in other categories). everyone keeps telling me how the second labor is so much easier and it's so much faster. this is what terrifies me. i was in labor with ava for four hours and pushed for 20 minutes. the way i'm envisioning things this time is more like this: a cramp and then a baby and me struggling to keep it from hurting itself on the target floor. seriously though, what if i do end up having my baby in the backseat of my car? first of all, gross (we'd definitely sell the car if that happened). secondly, what if i'm all alone and having the baby? the only plan i have to make up for that one is this: i'm not going to the hospital by myself. if ryan can't come with me (work), then my mom will. there's no way i'm going to be huffing and puffing my way through baby labor and have some stern highway patrolman stick his head in my car and ask me what i'm doing, parked on the side of the freeway like that by myself. i want my mom to be holding my hand and wondering what the heck she should do right next to me so she can tell the policeman what's wrong.

my doctor said that near the end they'll just check me weekly and if i'm starting to efface or dilate or show any other signs of labor, they'll just take me to the hospital and induce me. "you'll have that baby in an hour." she told me. sounds good except i don't want to be induced. i've heard it's very painful (from many a reliable source).

ease my fears, readers of mine who have had more than one child: what was your second, third, etc. labor and delivery like?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, first of all, all my labors took much longer than yours ...
1st - Christinas pregnancy:
labor for 36 hours and pushing for 10 Minutes, a fiew minutes more and i would have had a c-section.
2nd - Christophs pregnancy:
labor for about 9 hours, pushing for about 20 minutes.
As you can see, Christoph was much quicker! :-)

redstarmama said...

My second was waaay easier than the first, largely due to the fact that the second involved no labor whatsoever, being a scheduled C-section. Sorry. I have heard that #2 is an easier labor. When I was induced with Declan it wasn't painful at all and I labored for 13hours that time. And if it makes you feel any better, (maybe not) my friend Fran had her third child in the front seat of her mini van on the side of the freeway on the way to the hospital. Before the paramedics got there. I think her husband delivered their daughter. She got to be in the newspaper. So it can be done. It's just not preferable.

Annie Jarman said...

Not sure I can help, but my first was a c-section. My second was a VBAC. I was in labor at the hospital for about 3 1/2 hours, pushed for about 20 and that was it. (My labor had started at about six in the morning and I went to the hospital at 1 in the afternoon.) So I'm in the same boat as you, I guess. I expect to have my next in the blink of an eye. I think you'll be okay. Just get there before your water breaks!

Freckles said...

Well I can't say about the length from first to second because my body just doesn't do the whole labor thing anyway. I was induced both times and that part at least is not bad! Of course I had epidurals pretty quick too! haha

I had a friend who had her babies fast:-1-2 hrs after feeling "A", yes, singular, contraction! She had the rest of her deliveries scheduled for the same fear. Her babies came even quicker at the hospital, which means less labor anyway, so less pain!! So I wouldn't worry about being induced.

Kari said...

My labors have been quicker each time, but I don't blame you for not wanting to be induced. Some poeple I know don't mind it too much, but for me with KC it was awful. not the nice controlled delivery I had anticipated. Then again it didn't help that they turned the pitocin(sp?) all the way up even when my body started to work on its own so it was a milliopn times more painful than I think it should have been. But epidurals don't really work that well for me so as long as you have that working I don't think it would be that bad. Better than a baby on the side of the road anyway. Then again if it comes that fast your not in pain for very long anyway.